Skip to content

Forms All Landlords in Ontario Should Know (and When to Use Them)

by Rhenti on


Paperwork as a landlord in Ontario isn’t always clear. Some situations with tenants warrant a simple text message or phone call, others legal forms, and others still the involvement of governing bodies.


To help you make the right call next time you’re at a crossroads, we’re breaking down the most commonly used forms by landlords in Ontario, when and how to use them, and tips to help you file them smoothly and effectively.


Start with these tips from the Landlord and Tenant Board

The Landlord and Tenant Board (LTB) offers the following advice before giving notice forms or sending applications:


  • Use LTB’s online tool, Navigate Tribunals Ontario, to help identify which forms best suit your situation.
  • In most cases, seek legal advice before you serve a notice or file an application.
  • The LTB encourages the use of the Tribunals Ontario Portal for L1, L2, L3, L4, L9, L10, T1, T2, T5, T6, C1, C2 and combined applications.
  • For most other application types, you can file by email and pay online.
  • For forms for co-op eviction applications, see: Non-Profit Co-op Evictions.
  • If you need a form in print, or alternate formats like large print or braille, contact the LTB.

The most common forms you’ll likely need

As you’ll see below, there are many different kinds of forms for landlords. To simplify things, here are the most commonly used ones:


  • N1: This form is given to a tenant when a landlord is increasing their rent. Most landlords use the N1 form when increasing a tenant’s rent
  • N4: A notice to end an early tenancy for non-payment of rent.
  • N11: A mutual agreement between the landlord and the tenant to end the tenancy.
  • N12: A notice to end the tenancy because the landlord, a purchaser, or a family
  • member will be moving into the unit.
  • N13: A notice ending a tenancy because the landlord wants to demolish, repair, or convert the rental unit for another use.
  • L1: An application to evict a tenant because they didn’t pay the rent and to collect the money that is owed.
  • L2: An application to end a tenancy and evict a tenant or collect money.


Need something not covered here? See the full list below. 


Notices, applications, and other useful forms for landlords in Ontario

Landlord forms loosely serve four scenarios: tenancy termination, rent increases, tenant-landlord dispute resolution, and miscellaneous. 


Note: To get any of these forms—and see instructions on how to use them— download them from the Landlord and Tenant Board.


Notices of termination for landlords

Notice forms must be delivered physically to tenants (i.e. hand delivered, placed in mailbox or through a mail slot, under the front door, stuck to a door, etc.). Sending notices via email or text is not considered proper notice and often isn’t legally enforceable. 


  • N4: Notice to End your Tenancy Early for Non-payment of Rent
  • N5: Notice to End your Tenancy for Interfering with Others, Damage or Overcrowding
  • N6: Notice to End your Tenancy for Illegal Acts or Misrepresenting Income in a Rent-Geared-to-Income Rental Unit
  • N7: Notice to End your Tenancy for Causing Serious Problems in the Rental Unit or Residential Complex
  • N8: Notice to End your Tenancy at the End of the Term
  • N11: Agreement to End the Tenancy
  • N12: Notice to End your Tenancy Because the Landlord, a Purchaser, or a Family Member Requires the Rental Unit
  • N13: Notice to End your Tenancy Because the Landlord Wants to Demolish the Rental Unit, Repair it, or Convert it to Another Use


Notices of rent increase for landlords

  • N1: Notice of Rent Increase
  • N2: Notice of Rent Increase (Unit Partially Exempt)
  • N3: Notice to Increase the Rent and/or Charges for Care Services and Meals
  • N10: Agreement to Increase the Rent Above the Guideline

Application forms for landlords

  • L1: Application to evict a tenant for non-payment of rent and to collect rent the tenant owes
  • L2: Application to End a Tenancy and Evict a Tenant or Collect Money
  • L3: Application to End a Tenancy – Tenant Gave Notice or Agreed to Terminate the Tenancy
  • L4: Application to End a Tenancy and Evict a Tenant – Tenant Failed to Meet Conditions of a Settlement or Order
  • L5: Application for an Above Guideline Increase
  • L6: Application for Review of a Work Order about Provincial Maintenance Standards
  • L7: Application to Transfer a Care Home Tenant
  • L8: Application Because the Tenant Changed the Locks
  • L9: Application to Collect Rent the Tenant Owes
  • L10: Application to Collect Money a Former Tenant Owes
  • A1: Application about Whether the Act Applies
  • A2: Application about a Sublet or an Assignment
  • A4: Application to Vary the Amount of a Rent Reduction

Other forms for landlords

  • Certificate of Service
  • Certificate of Service – L10 Serving a Former Tenant or Tenant No Longer in Possession of the Rental Unit
  • Affidavit
  • Bulk Application Information Sheet
  • Consent to Disclosure through Tribunals Ontario Portal
  • Consent to Service by Email
  • Credit Card Payment Form
  • Declaration
  • Fee Waiver Request
  • Information from your Landlord about Utility Costs
  • Information from your Landlord about Utility Costs (One or More Utilities are no Longer Provided in the Residential Complex)
  • Information to Prospective Tenant about Suite Meters or Meters
  • L1/L9 – Information Update
  • Landlord's Motion to Set Aside an Order to Void – Form S3
  • Landlord’s Notice to a New Tenant about an Order Prohibiting a Rent Increase
  • Landlord's Notice to Terminate Obligations to Supply Electricity
  • N14: Landlord's Notice to the Spouse of the Tenant who Vacated the Rental Unit
  • Payment Agreement
  • Request for French-Language Services
  • Accommodation Request form
  • Request to use Alternative Service
  • Request for a Discontinuance Order Without a Hearing Form
  • Request to Withdraw an Application Form
  • Request for Hearing Recording
  • Request for the Board to Issue a Summons
  • Request to Amend an Order
  • Request to Extend or Shorten Time
  • Request to be a Litigation Guardian: Mental Incapacity
  • Request to Re-open an Application
  • Request to Reschedule a Hearing
  • Request to Review an Order
  • Schedule of Parties
  • Summons (Lawyers and Paralegals Only)
  • Tenant Agreement to Pay Directly for Electricity Costs

Tenant paperwork made easy—from application to signing

Most of these forms come into play after you’ve signed a tenant, but what about the paperwork before that?


Rhenti’s lead-to-lease software makes managing applications, marketing your property, coordinating with tenants, conducting background checks, and other tedious admin landlord tasks a breeze. 


Learn how Rhenti can help you today

The blog posts on this website are for the purpose of general introductory information. They can’t serve as an opinion or professional advice. Speak to a professional before making decisions related to your circumstances.